This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

R parameter tab is missing in metric editor

Oct 4, 2013 at 1:03 AM
Edited Oct 4, 2013 at 1:30 AM
Hi, I created an R script and copied the output from the deploy utility to the metric editor. I have also upgraded the MSTR project. However, I can't see the R parameters tab to link the R inputs to the MSTR attributes/metrics. Any ideas?
Oct 4, 2013 at 3:17 AM
Hi,

There is no "R parameters tab" so I 'm not sure what you're referring to or what you're expecting.

The good news is that once you've pasted the expression into the metric editor, all you have to do is replace the arguments (the inputs with R variable names) with the names of the MicroStrategy metrics you want to pass in. This is explained on page 9 of the R Integration Pack User Guide. You should also walk through the example on page 26 to see how the R variables names are replaced with the appropriate MicroStrategy metric names in the metric expression.

If you're still having problems, please provide some additional details, such as which metric editor are you using (Desktop or Web?, is it created by inserting a new metric on a report or document?).

Hope this helps,

Rick
Oct 4, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Hi, Rick. I was referring to page 15 of the R Integration guide :

"For this example, the metric expression would be "RScript(Revenue, [Month Index], [Month of Year])". Copy the metric names (between the parentheses) and define the _InputNames function parameter as Revenue, [Month Index], [Month of Year]. An example using MicroStrategy Desktop's Metric Editor is shown below:"
Oct 4, 2013 at 6:53 PM
Hi Travis,

That helps. I think you're asking how to get to the "RScript Parameters" dialog. It's pretty simple. While in the metric editor, Simply click on the "RScript" function name in the metric expression, the entire "RScript" should be highlighted. Then, Right-Mouse-Click and select the "RScript parameters" option and that dialog should pop-up.

NOTE: Because this is standard functionality not specific to the R Integration Pack, and there's a lot of standard MicroStrategy features described in documentation elsewhere, we didn't duplicate those instructions here. But, assuming this solves your problem, I'll check with our Doc team about adding these details so others won't hit this hurdle.

Please let me know if this solves your problem.

Thanks,

Rick
Oct 4, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Edited Oct 4, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Thanks, Rick. That's what I was looking for. I wasn't sure if by adding the functions and upgrading the project, that it would expose specific R screens in the basic editors, so that's what I had originally expected. As a follow up, when are you supposed to change the _InputName using the parameters dialog box? It looks like from page 15 that you go in and put the Microstrategy attributes/metrics in that field, but on page 28 that goes through the example, it doesn't say anything about that, and states to highlight the values in the Definition window and replace them with the Microstrategy name, so I'm a little unsure of that.

Regards,

Travis
Oct 4, 2013 at 9:23 PM
That's good news!

Regarding the _InputNames parameter, actually, this particular feature is only needed if you wanted to pass in the actual names of the MicroStrategy metric inputs to use them in your R analytic. While R will get the data associated with a particular metric, that data doesn't come with any details (metadata) about the metric itself, in particular it's name.

In that example, the MicroStrategy metric "Revenue" is passed into the R variable "Trend" -- And if you generated any plots or other output from R that you wanted to deploy to MicroStrategy users, those results from R would show "Trend" as the dependent variable -- since Trend is an R variable it's probably meaningless or confusing to BI Users. By setting the _InputNames parameter to match the input metric names in your metric expression, you could use the MicroStrategy metric names inside R.

Frankly, this is a bit of a special case and I suspect the vast majority users won't need this feature. But it's there in case its needed.

Hope this helps,

Rick